After deciding to commit to becoming a substitute teacher, individuals will need to apply for a substitute teacher position through the school district for which they want to work. Find local school district offices by:
- Asking a neighbor who has a child in the school system.
- Search online for school district offices (some school districts may have online applications).
- Check the local phone book.
After finding a school district for which an individual wishes to work and to which they can commute, apply for a substitute teacher position by:
- Calling the school district and asking to speak to someone in the substitute teacher office. Ask for the paperwork needed to apply to become a substitute teacher.
- Visiting the school district's web site and downloading the paperwork. Substitute teaching jobs are usually listed under "Human Resources" or "Employment".